The Product Organization
The product organization acts as the central nervous system of the company.
The product organization within your company is a decision-making institution that is focused on identifying, digesting, and simplifying complexity so that it can optimize, if not amplify, the business impact of all other teams — Technology, Editorial, Data Science — using experiment-driven development.
When do you require a product team
- As the company becomes a behemoth, the complexity grows to a level… where you start feeling that nothing is moving
- or that you’ve business goals or problems to solve but aren’t sure what is the best options (ideas) to consider.
How does a product team help
Its job is to provide clarity, coherence, and direction to cross-functional teams so everyone is working towards growing specific business metrics.
- The product organization keeps everyone synced to shape, ship, and track the product.
- They are responsible for saying NO so most accidental complexity can be removed.
How should you structure your product team
- A common response is that my organization doesn’t have these roles!
- However, it is unlikely. Someone is performing these tasks, even if they are called something else. Without these functions, a modern technology operation cannot survive.
Warning: Organizations are inherently political due to a variety of factors, including the diversity of perspectives within them, the necessity of collaborating with individuals on whom we rely, the need to cooperate with competitors, and the requirement to make difficult decisions regarding limited resources.